8Gb and 4Gb Fibre Channel Switch, Single Power Supply, up to 120 ports per stack
List Price: $5,376.00
Our Price: $3,182.00
List Price: $10,060.00
Our Price: $6,020.00
The QLogic 5000 Series Stackable Switches support 2Gb, 4Gb and 8Gb servers and storage – all connected by the world’s fastest SAN backbone, with Inter-Switch Links (ISLs) that provide 20Gb throughput. The switches not only deliver the performance you need today, but also provide a simple migration path to 8Gb for the infrastructure of tomorrow.
The simplicity, scalability, and cost-saving advantages of stackable switches have long been familiar to Ethernet users. Now, you can get the same benefits from the company that pioneered stacking technology for Fibre Channel SANs. Best of all, configuration wizards and intuitive software make installation and management a breeze. Why pay six figures for a Director switch that your organization may or may not eventually grow into? Deploy the QLogic 5000 Series Stackable Switch for a pay-as-you- grow solution that never gets ahead of your network or your budget.
- Efficient stacking architecture – build large SANs with fewer switches and zero device ports wasted for ISLs
- Up to 120 device ports per stack, higher port counts in multi-stack configurations
- Manage the stack as a single switch
- 8-to-20 self-configuring device ports per switch support 8Gb, 4Gb, and 2Gb servers and storage
- 4-port expansion license – add device ports non-disruptively in the field
- Four included 10Gb stacking ports – upgrade to 20Gb bandwidth (5800 Series) at the click of a mouse!
- Models available with or without SFPs, no proprietary optics "lock-down"
Next-Generation SANs for Today's Infrastructure
The newest addition to QLogic's award-winning QLogic 5000 Series unleashes powerful data access possibilities for small to large enterprise customers. QLogic 5800V Stackable Switches offer SAN planners the best choice to cost-effectively handle current needs now while preparing for future known and unknown competitive business requirements.
- Affordable entry as low as eight 8Gb device ports—plus four "always on" 10Gb stacking ports included (12 ports total)
- 20Gb ISL bandwidth on demand—as needs change, upgrade your stacking ports
- Full backwards-compatibility with existing 4Gb and 2Gb infrastructure
- Expandable to twenty 8Gb device ports per switch (24 ports total)—or 120 device ports per multi-switch stack
- Choice of cost-optimized single power supply (SB5800V) or high availability dual power supply (SB5802V) models
Migrate to 8Gb at Your Own Pace
Thanks to widespread corporate plans for server virtualization or consolidation, along with the rapid adoption of multi-core processors, many SAN users are already recognizing the need for 8Gb network speeds. At a minimum, savvy IT managers know they must take the 8Gb transition into account when making their next equipment purchases.
However, these same customers—and others who are not yet ready for 8Gb—also demand a solution that can be installed alongside existing infrastructure without requiring large up-front payments for capabilities that may be needed later.
QLogic's field-proven modular backbone architecture, a key component of the QLogic SAN lifecycle management framework, offers a powerful answer to this dual request, allowing customers to build SANs that will last far into the future while simultaneously providing the lowest cost of entry. The QLogic 5800V switch reduces both capital expense (CAPEX) and operating expense (OPEX) through all phases of technology roll-out.
Features and Benefits:
- 8Gb/"8Gb-ready" performance at affordable prices— Backwards compatible with 4Gb and 2Gb devices and optics!
- "Always on" 10Gb stacking ports—No extra cost to activate your storage networking backbone!
- 20Gb ISL bandwidth on demand—Prepare for the future without paying more today!
- Preferred Service included—24×7 call support plus next-business-day hardware exchange
- Fabric Security now included!
- NPIV support for virtualized environments
- Higher port density
Same Great QLogic 5000 Series Value
- Cost-saving modular backbone architecture
- Scalability and adaptability
- Extended solution lifespan
- 4-port expansion increments
- Easy to install and manage
- QuickTools™ on-board GUI and CLI included
- Adaptive Trunking included
- Powerful advanced software options
- Enterprise Fabric Suite™
- Still the most cost-effective, high-performance SAN switch available!
Next-Generation Stacking: A Good Idea Gets Better!
QLogic 5800V lets you connect 8Gb, 4Gb, or 2Gb devices to a SAN for about the same cost as competing 4Gb-only solutions, but the investment protection advantages go much deeper! Unlike other solutions, the 5800V can phase bandwidth provisioning incrementally within your ISL fabric—the most performance-critical area of the SAN.
- Start with "Always On" 10Gb ISLs
Each QLogic 5800V ships with all four 10Gb stacking ports active by default. Basic inter-switch connectivity is now included with the product. Customers no longer need to take ISL port costs into account when planning their SANs—every port they purchase may now be connected directly to a server or storage device! (See sidebar for more on stacking.)
At their default 10Gb setting, the four stacking ports provide over 50Gb of additional bandwidth per switch—the equivalent of six extra 8Gb ports!
10Gb ISL speed provides more than enough bandwidth for customers in the early stages of their 8Gb migration, when many switch ports are still attached to 4Gb storage and other legacy devices.
- 20Gb Bandwidth On Demand
When a majority of QLogic device ports are eventually connected to 8Gb devices, additional inter-switch bandwidth may be desired. At that point, customers can nondisruptively upgrade the ISL ports on one or more switches to 20Gb. At 20Gb, this is the only ISL technology that perfectly complements 8Gb device speeds and extends the stability, cost savings, and performance benefits of a true backbone architecture to next-generation SANs.
IT managers now have all the network headroom they need to deploy new applications and technologies with confidence. Best of all, because 20Gb uses the same cables/connectors as 10Gb, customers can upgrade their entire SAN at the click of a mouse— without touching a cable or purchasing any new hardware. Only QLogic offers such a cost-deferred "pay-as-you-grow" plan for the 8Gb transition.
What Is Stacking?
Stackable switches, long familiar to Ethernet users, were introduced for Fibre Channel by QLogic in 2003. Stacking cuts complexity and costs by providing a stable, highly-expandable transport for aggregate ISL traffic—eliminating the disruption, port waste, and management hassles associated with using device ports as ISLs.
True Backbone Value
In a stackable architecture, each switch features dedicated ports for ISL; that is, for connecting to other switches. These ports offer much greater bandwidth than the regular data/device ports, and therefore require far fewer connections to achieve specific bandwidth goals.
Need more server or storage ports? Simply add another switch to the stack—no need to move existing cables or disrupt devices.
Affordable Now—Big Savings Later
- Low initial cost—Out-of-the-box, dual-speed QLogic 5000 products provide superior performance at a price-per-port that is competitive with single-speed, nonstacking edge switches.
- Reduced expansion costs—Multiswitch QLogic networks require up to 50 percent fewer switches to achieve the same device port counts, and because each stacking port matches the throughput of three device ports, QLogic ISL connections are far less expensive per unit of bandwidth. For instance, a single 20Gb connection (25.5Gbps actual line rate, 51Gbps full-duplex) saves six 8Gb device ports for devices and eliminates the need for six expensive 8Gb SFPs. Stacking has never made more sense from a budget versus performance perspective!
- Longer product and topology lifespan—Other vendors force customers to take a nonlinear "rip and replace" approach to SAN growth, offering a limited solution at the low end, followed by a radically different architecture as the installation matures. QLogic's modular ISL backbone helps customers pace investments and deployment activities predictably over time, with fewer wrong turns and reversals—even when corporate strategies and directions change.
Easy to Install and Manage
- Installation and configuration wizards—From basic switch setup to advanced zoning and extended distance configuration, the QLogic 5800V automates routines to make deployment a snap. Installation is a three-step, point-and-click process. Selfconfiguring switch ports automatically adjust to 8Gb, 4Gb, or 2Gb device speeds.
- On-board GUI—No software to load. Just point a web browser at any switch and manage the entire fabric from that location. No matter what your level of expertise, the web-based QuickTools interface has all you need for basic fabric management. For advanced administration of larger SANs, the optional Enterprise Fabric Suite application provides an unprecedented level of intuitive control.
- Stack management—With Enterprise Fabric Suite, users can manage stacks of 5000 Series products as a single device, loading firmware, applying security configuration changes, or handling user and SNMP administration for up to six switches simultaneously.
Fast, Reliable Performance
- Full bandwidth architecture—The QLogic 5800V provides uncontested "wire speed" bandwidth at every port—a total of 544Gbps per switch! Plus, the dedicated 10Gb/20Gb ISL transport makes it easy to create nonblocking multiswitch configurations. ISL capacity expands automatically as device port count grows, ensuring a consistent user experience.
- Adaptive Trunking—There are no extra costs or complicated license schemes. QLogic Adaptive Trunking optimizes ISL use and performance by pooling the capacity of multiple 20Gb, 10Gb, or 8Gb links into a single high-speed pipeline. Trunks are employed automatically, eliminating the need for manual configuration. Unlike other trunking implementations, trunked ports need not be sequential, and can be spread across multiple switches. Switch-on-exchange design supports intelligent path selection, fabric shortest path first, and virtual trunking.
A variety of reliability features enable the QLogic 5800V to deliver overall system availability greater than 99.999 percent.
- I/O StreamGuard™ registered state change notification (RSCN)—Guaranteed bandwidth for time-sensitive applications such as video streaming
- Hardware-enforced zoning by WWN
- Hot-swappable dual power supply options
- Nondisruptive code load and activation (NDCLA)
Powerful, Intuitive Software
QLogic Fibre Channel switches use the same code base, which means that QLogic switches are backward and forward compatible—you will need to learn only one set of management tools.
- QuickTools—Embedded Java® Web applet for device discovery, device management, zoning, and fabric management. QuickTools includes a configuration wizard and QLogic drag-and-drop zoning, the industry's most intuitive zoning method.
- Fabric Security (now included)—Provides the right mix of advanced protection features for user, connection, and device security. This includes support for remote authentication dial-in user service (RADIUS) authentication, and SSH and SSL encryption. Device connection security uses Fibre Channel Security Protocol (FC-SP), DH-CHAP, and FC-GS-4 CT.
- Enterprise Fabric Suite (optional)—Reduce software costs while managing the SAN your way with unprecedented levels of control. Enterprise Fabric Suite bundles high-value enterprise features such as Fabric Tracker, Performance View, Port Threshold Alarms, Stack Management, and mPort™ movable port activation into a single site-licensed package. You'll spend less time and money licensing individual features or worrying about "balloon payment" per-switch fees as your SAN grows.
- SANdoctor (optional)—An extensive set of diagnostic tools for trouble-shooting problems in your fabric. SANdoctor includes media digital diagnostics, fabric trace route, and fabric ping.
- Fully compatible with other QLogic switches—Mix and match in stacks with all 5000 Series products (2Gb, 4Gb, or 8Gb). The QLogic 5800V is also compatible with FC-SW-2-compliant switches made by other vendors.
- Interoperable with all major storage, server, application, and infrastructure vendors—SNMP support, an API, and an SMI-S agent for integration into popular third-party management applications
N_Port ID Virtualization (NPIV)—Support comes standard across the entire QLogic switch portfolio, allowing full integration and interoperability with applications, such as VMware®, and hardware, including leading transparent blade solutions from IBM®, HP®, and others. Only QLogic delivers end-to-end NPIV support on Fibre Channel Adapters and switches.
QLogic 5800V provides low total cost of ownership (TCO), extended product life, and a phased "pay-as-you-grow" approach that will enhance any company's long-term financial strategy. Make business-critical applications and personnel more productive with a next-generation QLogic SAN—the best choice for today's infrastructure and tomorrow's.
|Power Supply Model||Single integrated power supply
||Dual, hot-swap power supplies/fans
|Dimensions H×W×D||43.2×432×500mm (1.7×17×20in)||43.2×432×500mm (1.7×17×20in)|
|Weight||6.8kg (15lbs)||8.16kg (18lbs)|
|Ports Per Chassis||
|Multiswitch Fabric Support||
|Port Types||All ports are universal, auto-discovering, selfconfiguring, and assume the following states: F_Port, FL_port, E_port, G_Port, and GL_Port|
|Fabric Port Speeds||
|Fabric point-to-point bandwidth||
|Aggregate bandwidth||544Gbps per chassis; nonblocking architecture|
|Maximum Frame Sizes||2,148 bytes (2,112 byte payload)|
|Supported SFP Types||Shortwave/longwave (optical), active copper|
|Maximum Media Transmission Ranges||
|Access Methods||10/100 Ethernet BaseT (RJ45), serial port (RS-232 with DB9), in-band (Fibre Channel)|
|Fabric services||Simple name server, hardware-based zoning, RSCN, I/O StreamGuard, multichassis in-order delivery, automatic path selection, FDMI, NPIV support, and IPv6 support|
|User Interface||LEDs, command line console, and Web utilities|
|Fibre Channel Specifications|
|Fibre Channel protocols||
|Fibre Channel classes of service||Class 2, Class 3, and Class F (inter-switch frames) connectionless|
|Modes of Operation||Fabric, Public loop, Broadcast|
|Environmental and Equipment Specifications|
|Operating Temperature||5°–40°C (41°–104°F)|
|Non-Operating Temperature||–20°–70°C (–4–158 °F)|
|Operating Humidity||10–90% (non-condensing)|
|Non-Operating Humidity||10–95% (non-condensing)|
|Operating Altitude||0–10,000 feet|
|Non-Operating Altitude||0–50,000 feet|
|Operating Vibration||5–500Hz, 0.27g, 5 sweeps|
|Non-Operating Vibration||2 to 200Hz, 0.5g, 5 sweeps|
|Operating Shock||3.5g, 3ms, half sine, 20 repeti|
|Non-Operating Shock||50g, 4216 mmps, 13msec, 3 axis|
|Power load||1A at 120VAC; 0.5A at 240VAC|
|EMI/EMC||Meets Class A emissions and immunity requirements for USA, Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Korea, Japan|
Download the QLogic 5800V/5802V Datasheet (PDF).
List Price: $5,376.00
Our Price: $3,182.00
List Price: $10,060.00
Our Price: $6,020.00